Monday, October 13, 2008

The Lone Ranger # 11

Writer: Brett Matthews
Artists: Sergio Cariello, Paul Pope
Colorist: Marcelo Pinto
Publisher: Dynamite Entertainment
Published: April 2008

The only reason I picked up this issue of Lone Ranger was because Paul Pope is a guest artist. I've never read any of the preceding issues, but from what this comic holds, the series looks to be pretty good.

Issue 11 opens with Tonto visiting Rafael in prison. Tonto tells Rafael a tale of a wolf who wanders into the world of man, a lumber mill, steals some food, and returns to his den. Upon returning to his den the wolf is shocked in horror. Tonto then ends the story there and tells Rafael to "Die well." So from what I gather, the Rafael character must have been some bad news in the series to deserve such torment. Rafael story ends with his head in a noose. Oh, and also the Lone Ranger goes on to talk to some guy and warns him to be a better law man.

Beyond the outstanding artwork by Pope, I really identified with the story. When I was a I kid I wrote a tale about a wolf that loses his home to deforestation. Having no home, the wolf jumped into the back of a truck and was brought to the lumber mill, which he made into his new home. My story ended up being printed in Ubzub, which, as far as I can remember, was a bound book with stories from students from our side of the city. So, almost 20 years later, it was pretty nice to see a story about a wolf, lumber mills, and themes of displacement drawn by one of my favorite artists.

No comments: