Sunday, July 18, 2010

Girl Comics # 2 of 3

Writers: Various
Artists: Various
Colours: Various
Publisher: Marvel
Published: July 2010

Terrible title. Fun comic though. Girl Comics issue 2 has a smorgasbord of 'girl' talent. As a mini series of various stories, some are gonna be hits and some misses. This issue has more hits than misses, so that's a good thing. I really liked the story of the prank call set upon Dr. Doom by Johnny Storm and Thing. As well, the art by Jill Thompson for her tale was fantastic. She also did the cover, which makes this issue worth picking up just for that.

For those not in the know, Girl Comics is a series dedicated to showcasing the talent of Marvels women writers/artists/colorists/editors and so on. The tales are generally lighthearted, fun, accessible, and beautifully drawn. Throw in a few pin ups and some bios of past female creators written by Trina Robbins, and you have a decent mini series dedicated to women Marvel creators.

Not sure why they went with the title "Girl Comics". But then again, from personal experience I've always had trouble figuring out how to address a group of females/ladies/women/girls(??) anyway.

If I address them as "ladies" I feel like a Beastie Boy.
If I say "women" I feel like an ass.
If I say "girls" I feel like and idiot.
If I say "females" I feel like a biologist.

I usually just go with "guys". That's safe. Better to just address everyone as if they're a dude.

No comments: