Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fan Expo 2010 - Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne # 3

Writer: Grant Morrison
Artist: Yanick Paquette
Ink/Color: Michel Lacombe/ Nathan Fairbairn
Publisher: DC
Published: August 2010

Part 3 of The Return of Bruce Wayne has Batman visiting ye ol' pirate days.

What stands out in this particular issue is Yanick's stellar artwork. The guy's a pro! I also had the chance to meet him while at the Fan Expo. Of all the artists/writers I met, he was certainly the most lively and open with his thoughts. Yanick hails from Quebec, and when I arrived he was knee deep in a conversation with another fan regarding the state affairs of European and French comics. I had no idea what they were talking about, but it was fun to listen to nonetheless.

While perusing his original artwork for this issue, I asked him how long it takes him to do a page. He told me he does a page a day. I was taken aback and expressed my amazement. His response, with a diabolical hammed up glee: "I'm a machine!"

I then went on to express how much I enjoyed the look of this issue, especially his attention to the skulls and bones bridge. Yanick said he had created a 3d model to figure out the angles, which makes sense, because his bridge of bones is the most mechanically solid bridge I have ever seen rendered. In the above credits I see that Michel was the inker on this issue, but when I saw the originals, they were already inked. I never thought to ask how the two of them collaborate, but let me just tell you, his black and white originals for this issue are outstanding! They look fantastic! (Check this link for an idea of the level of skill Yanick is at.)

Yanick then went onto discuss his working relationship with DC and Grant Morrison, which is startling/fascinating unto itself. If you ever get a chance to meet Yanick, let me just tell you, he's an interesting/fun guy.

No comments: