Monday, July 2, 2012

Good Girl Art: Young X-Men no. 2 by Terry and Rachel Dodson

That title sounds so wrong.

According to wikipedia "good girl art" is:
"...found in drawings or paintings which feature a strong emphasis on attractive women no matter what the subject or situation."
Whereas Young X-Men was a secondary storyline to the X-Men "Divided We Stand" story.

However, my interest really lies with Terry and Rachel Dodson's artwork!

I was first introduced to Terry and Rachel's work when I stumbled upon DC's Harley Quinn in 2001. There was something special about the comic. Well written, great characters, fun stories, and the clincher - Harley herself. No longer a whimsical cartoon depiction from Batman The Animated Series, Harley took on a whole new level of reality. Terry and Rachel drew Harley with the form of a fully realized person (albeit an 'idealistic' person). But here was a Harley who was athletic, emotional, capable, and ultimately, sexy.

And right there is the truth to why the Dodson's artwork is so appealing. The women the Dodson's draw are not weak, docile characters whose only strength is their exterior. The women they draw are fully realized both internally and externally and in essence are not just attractive women, but attractive characters.

Mantra by Terry Dodson
Over the years I've kept an eye out for Dodson's work, be it their run on Spider-Man or their current work on X-men, but a few years ago I realized that I had seen their work from way back in my past. Digging through my comics I came across my old copies of Mantra. Judging from the cover art I knew why I purchased these comics as a 13 year old boy and looking at them now as an adult I appreciate them for much more than a prepubescent thrill they were then, but now a realization that even at 13 I had great taste in good girl art.






Young X-Men #2 written by Marc Guggenheim, penciled by Yanick Paquette, inked by Ray Snyder, colored by Rob Schwager, lettered by Dave Sharpe. Marvel July 2008.





Terry and Rachel Dodson Gallery

Black Cat
Wonder Woman
Poison Ivy
Harley Quinn as Batgirl
Harley Quinn cuttin Supermans hair
Harley Quinn



More Comix 365 articles:  

Mantra
Where the Wild Hulks

No comments: