Friday, January 16, 2009

Wildcats # 3.7

Writer: Joe Casey
Artist: Dustin Nguyen
Publisher: Wildstorm
Published: April 2003

I only picked up this issue because of the ludicrous cover (that and it was 25 cents). The story follows a guy named Wax, who is spying on two other guys. Wax works for (I think) some sort of covert unit, and one of the guys he was spying on ends up getting attacked by the two leather daddies on the cover. There is also a subplot involving an interview of a company big wig, and Wax being a giant evil asshole to his bosses wife.

You know I never understood the appeal of the S&M culture. It's not so much the submissive/dominant ideology that I don't get, but the obsession with leather. What's the deal with that?

When I was in school, the Matrix had just been released and this caused leather to be the 'in' thing. I liked the movie, quite a bit, and I thought the costumes looked great, but I always found leather in real life never looked as polished. It was disillusioning. Also, at my old job, a lot of the supervisors wore big leather jackets, and since I didn't like a lot of the supervisors there, I associated leather clothing with my distaste of management.

So because of my natural inclination to dislike leather bound individuals I'll never be a S&M devotee...but if plaid flannel shirts chained to ass-less corduroy pants existed, well that's a whole new ball game.

No comments: