Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Michaelangelo Christmas Special

Writers/Artists: Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, Jim Lawson
Publisher: Mirage Studios
Published: December 1990

Eight Days to Christmas my true love gave to me....a frickin' Ninja Turtle! Yeah! Remember when turtles were all the rage? No, well I do, cause I fuckin' loved those green dudes with attitude! I had a bunch of the toys, and to this day I still have a bunch of the comics (which I will be reviewing of course!)

So today's spectacular Christmas issue has Michaelangelo doing his whole nice guy thing. He's out enjoying the festive season when he stumbles upon a hijacking of a truck full of Lil Orphan Aliens (which are in such a high demand they're like the equivalent to the Cabbage Patch doll craze years back.) Next, a scene straight out of a Jerry Bruckheimer film ensues, with Mikey trashing the crooks, stealing back the toys, and destroying some cop cars along the way. All in all a decent tale that holds up to the test of time, even if the toys don't.
The second half of this special concerns my favorite turtle: Raphael! The story is pretty much Raphael in Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol. You know the drill: ghosts of past, present, and future visit Raphael, and in the end he has a change of heart. Well sort of, instead of ignoring his brothers and sleeping in an alley (which is what he was doing before), he goes to rooftop near his place, looks in the window at his brothers, and just says "Merry Christmas guys." I guess when it comes to grumpy ol' Raph, this is about the best you'll get.

Oh, this issue also has one awesome phrase from Raph, which pretty much sums him up. Take a look:
I hear ya, my seriousness and intensity separates me too...sigh...

No comments: