Sunday, June 6, 2010

Martial Arts, Authorized Training Manual: Michaelangelo and the Art of the Nunchaku

Writer: Peter Brody
Artist: Jason Rogers
Publisher: Solson Publications
Published: 1986

This gem is an authorized training manual on the art of the nunchaku, with illustrations of Michaelangelo providing the lessons. Need I say more?

Yes.

This manual is a great resource for kids to learn how to wield a dangerous weapon. I love it. When I was a kid, nunchucks were the holy grail of weapons. However, I missed the boat on this issue back in '86, and had to rely on Bruce Lee movies as my learning guide. I think I've done well over the years with my nunchucku skills. 100 bludgeoned can't be wrong, right?



One thing, I love about this issue is the illustrations are full bodied, composed of clean lines. So, if your kids are too young to take up the art of pummelling sticks, the comic makes for a handy colouring book.



I have a huge love of colouring books. Here's a link to some of my work on colouring books.

Also here are some odd ads in a training manual: Texas Chainsaw Samurai, and Sultry Teenage Super Foxes. Only in comics...

No comments: